Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
LAST CHANCE TO REGISTER FOR SUMMER REC LEAGUE. Register by Thursday afternoon. Click here to register!
When is the Summer 2022 Season?
- Practices start the week of May 31st (weather permitting)
- Games Begin the week of June 11th.
- Games/Practices will be played on your divisions designated nights at various fields. (Practices will be at your "home" field)
- Closing Games will be on Saturday, July 16th.
How do I know what age group to register for?
- Baseball age groups are determined by the player’s age on April 30, 2021.
- Tee Ball – Ages 4-6
- Machine Pitch – Ages 7-8
- Minors – Ages 9-10
- Majors – Ages 11-12
- Mountain 16U – Ages 13-16
What is the difference at each age group?
- Tee Ball is the introduction to baseball for our youngest players. Emphasis is on learning the basics of the game and having FUN! Thanks to local grants and fundraising we are able to offer Tee ball for FREE again this year! Games and practices last for 60 minutes and will be on Monday and Wednesday nights. Some teams will be scheduled to play 1 game only in Fairplay during the season.
- Machine Pitch is the second step in a player’s baseball progression. Thanks to local grants and fundraising we are able to offer Machine Pitch for FREE again this year as well! The emphasis for this age group is expanding their baseball knowledge and having FUN! Players will hit pitches from a machine and begin learning about strikes and outs. Practices are 60 minutes, and games last for 90 minutes. Games and practices will be Tuesday and Thursday nights. Some teams will be scheduled to play 1 game only in Fairplay during the season.
- Minors is the beginning of a true baseball game. Players field all positions on the diamond, and have umpires calling the game. Base paths and pitching distances are age appropriate. Did we mention fun? Yes, this is FUN! Although we try to keep convenience in mind, players are divided on teams to create a level playing field and can not guarantee players will be with all of their friends or at the “home” field. Practices are 1.5 hours and games last 6 innings or until the 2 hour time limit is reached. Games and practices will be Tuesday and Thursday nights.
- Majors is the next step. The field dimensions are larger and a real game of baseball begins to appear. Players are divided on teams to create a level playing field and split competitive players amongst all teams. Practices are 1.5 hours and games last 6 innings or until the 2 hour time limit is reached. Games and practices will be Monday and Wednesday nights.
- Mountain 16u - Nights Under the Lights- Players ages 13-16 will be in a local league where they will play against each other 6 times. This age group plays in Breckenridge at Kingdom Park, under the lights. Games are typically 8 - 10 p.m. (on either Tues or Wed nights) - No practices, just one game/week under the lights in Breckenridge. If there are not enough players to form at least 2 teams, we will have to cancel this division, and refund fully.
What are the costs for each age group?
- Tee Ball – Ages 4-6 - FREE ($50 if registered after April 17, 2022)
- Machine Pitch – Ages 7-8 - FREE ($50 if registered after April 17, 2022)
- Minors – Ages 9-10 - $190.00 ($235.00 if registered after April 17, 2022)
- Majors – Ages 11-12 - $190.00 ($235.00 if registered after April 17, 2022)
- Mountain 16U – Ages 13-16 -$125
What equipment does my participant need to provide?
- Participants need proper shoes for running on grass and/or dirt infields. Molded Baseball cleats are suggested but not required. Metal spikes are allowed for Mountain 16U.
- Baseball glove
- Baseball pants (not required for MP or TB)
How is team formation decided?
- Many factors are put in play for team placement
- For TB, players may indicate 1 friend they would like to play with. We do our best to fulfill at least one request, but can not always be guaranteed. For TB and MP, players are placed on the “home” team of their elementary school. If your child lives in one town, but attends school in another town, please indicate your location preference in the “special circumstances” space in the registration form. (Park County players will be placed on a Fairplay team for TB and MP if there are teams, and unless otherwise requested at time of registration)
- For Minors & Majors, we first try to balance spring players amongst the teams to balance baseball experience. We keep siblings of the same level together. Consider location (school and/or home) and last is special requests which are harder to fulfill at these age groups. We are confident that this is a great way for kids to make new friends having fun in this environment. ( Park County players will be placed on a Fairplay team only IF there are enough players to field a full Park County team at each age group. If there are not enough players then Park County players will be placed on a Breckenridge team)
- Other primary factors are: Team Sponsors, Coaches, available field locations and 1st time players.
- Other secondary factors are: Known time away, balanced team sizes and special requests
- As you can see, this is a large puzzle that we do our best to fit the pieces together. Our goal is to provide a fun, safe and inclusive environment. It is not a perfect system, but we really do put many hours of thought in these decisions. Positive parental support helps give your child the opportunity to embrace new experiences. Thank you for your flexibility and understanding that we are unable to fulfill every request.
Are Scholarships available?
- Yes they are!
- Scholarship amount is 50% of the registration fee.
- In return for scholarship funds, SYBS is asking scholarship beneficiaries to provide dedicated volunteer hours assisting with fundraising efforts such as concession stand operations, home-run derby or other fundraising events
- Please fill out the application from the registration and return to firstname.lastname@example.org in order to be considered for this program. (It must be emailed and can not be viewed from the registration)
- We will follow all current State and County Public Health Guidelines and adjust accordingly
When does registration close?
- Registration will close on Sunday - May 1, 2022, at midnight.
- Teams will be formed on May 5, 2020.
- Take advantage of Early Bird registration, fees will go up to $50 on April 17, 2022.
Why does registration close so early?
- There's a lot to do! (And with supply issues right now, things take a little longer.)
- In order to form teams, find team sponsors, meet with coaches, reserve fields and order jerseys and hats to be delivered by Opening Game Day, we need the full month to make this happen.
What time commitment should we expect?
- While the exact dates and times have yet to be finalized, you will practice/play twice a week (on your designated nights listed above). Opening DayTournament/Picture day will be on Saturday, June 11th. Closing Day Tournament with awards for all teams will end the season on Saturday, July 16th. These are the ONLY 2 Saturdays for the entire season, so families can enjoy their weekends together.
- Although we are moving forward planning Opening and Closing Day at the Dam Fields, unforeseen circumstance may change these plans. We will announce any changes prior to the events.
What are the key dates for the season?
- March 13 – Registration opens
- April 17 - Early Bird Discount Ends (Registration increase $50)
- May 1 – Registration closes (No registrations will be accepted after this date- help spread the word now)
- May 5 - Team Formation Meeting - SYBS Board of Directors
- May 20- SYBS at the Rockies
- May 25 or 26 – Coaches meetings split by divisions
- May 31 – Practice begins
- June 3 - SYBS at the Rockies
- June 11 - Opening Day Games + Team Pictures -ALL TEAMS
- June 13-17 - Drury Baseball Camp (9am-3pm for ages 8-16)
- July 15 - Home Run Derby Fundraiser @ Dam Fields
- July 16 – Season ending tournament - ALL TEAMS
- July 6 - Registration Opens for the Fall Baseball Season
- July 17 - Registration Closes for the Fall Baseball Season
I saw something about camps, could you explain more?
- Coach Mark Drury will be bringing his professional baseball camp back to Summit County again this summer. This camp is for players ages 8-16. Minimal baseball experience is encouraged. The camp will run from 9am-3pm each day, June 13-17 at Kingdom Park in Breckenridge. Coach Mark and his staff have been conducting this camp in Summit County for over 30 years. It is a great camp and the kids have a lot of fun!! Cost is $285. You can add this at the time of registration or if there is space available we will open a separate registration in May.
- Pitching Camp- Ages 11-18. Dates TBD. Details are still being confirmed. Information will be sent out when available.
This sounds great, how can I help?
- Volunteers are always needed! We are seeking volunteer coaches and assistant coaches, team communicators, safety managers, team managers, score-keepers, fundraising/general volunteers, concession stands, HomeRun Derby volunteers, board members, and business sponsors. Please sign up at registration and we will contact you with details to get involved.
- If you, your business, or your employer’s business would be interested in sponsoring a team this summer, please reach out to email@example.com or call 970-262-5778. Team sponsorships are $450. The business will be recognized with business name on jerseys, team name and business logo on our website. SYBS is a 501c3 non-profit organization. Businesses will receive a tax letter for their donation.
I still have a couple questions, who should I contact?
- Please contact Joy Lukasiewicz – SYBS Administrator
- (970) 262-5778
- Also please try our website for all things Summit Baseball:
I’m ready to proceed, show me the way! Please click on the link below.
DID YOU KNOW?
Summit Youth Baseball is a 501c3 non-profit organization run by 100% volunteer board and only 1 paid part time employee. Through fundraising, grants, local business sponsors and volunteers like you, SYBS provides 3 seasons of baseball to our youth in Summit and Park Counties.
We would like to introduce the volunteer SYBS board for this season. Board members are voted in for 2 year terms and typically meet the 3rd week of every month; exact date, time and location information can be found on our website. Your attendance and participation is welcome.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to one of us with questions and/or comments. We could not do this without you!
We are excited to get the Summer Season started!!